Friday, March 20, 2009

World we live in

I sit and watch as cars go by.
As the city lights slowly turn on.
I watch as clouds darken the moon.
Making the world seem what it truly is.

I look at people as they pass on by.
I can't help but think.
"What is the purpose?"
To these fragile, meaningless lives.

We are born.
We live.
We give life and then die.
What more to life then this?

We think.
We eat.
We drink and be merry.
Is this not the essence of life?

What more beyond that yellow brick road?
What life would we have led?
What is really behind that second door?
The path we did not choose.

We work.
We build.
We are taught then teach.
To whom do we do all this?

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?
Or is there only darkness in this world of despair?
Do we ever find the end of the rainbow?
Or do we leave that pot of gold to the imagination?

We lie.
We cheat.
We steal and we kill.
Where is the punishment for all our crimes?
Why is it always the good die young?

Can't someone help me this night?
To leave behind the bleakness in this world.
To throw out all this fear.
That we all seem to cling to.

As the city lights go out tonight.
I lay in bed and hear a soft whisper.
"Be quiet, be still.
My loving child.
Forget not why you are here.
Tonight you will sleep without fear.
For I will always be by your side."


Copyright 2009 Lauren Hall ©

No comments:

Post a Comment