Sunday, December 9, 2018

Truth in Fear

The glaring red signal beams.
It stares at me and waits.
Knowing I'll eventually cave.
Cave into the demand it makes.

Determined to ignore the call.
Focusing my attention on anything.
Something other than the sound.
Of all that tells me to look.

See the chaos that wants to unfold.
Watch the wall come crashing down.
Feel the weight of the wave.
That wants to drown me whole.

Running seemed a good choice.
Heart pounding in my ears.
I don't dare look back on.
The presence so close behind.

I feel the hot breath on my neck.
The towering image of it's shadow.
Feel it reaching out to grab a hold.
Tears prick at the corners.

How long can I continue to run?
The question comes unannounced.
Is it worth running forever?
Questions I don't want to answer.

Is my willpower strong enough?
To outlast my endurance.
Will my stamina keep up with.
The need to avoid the inevitable.

My strength begins to wane.
My steps start to slow.
My heart pounds even faster.
I'm close to hyperventilation.

The shaking has slowly begun.
Hands; first to show their weakness.
Knees; following suit in fear.
The body has betrayed me now.

I close my eyes seeking strength.
The power to will my body to turn.
To face the presence waiting behind.
It looms over me as if mocking.

Taking a very long, deep breath.
Swallowing down the bile rising.
Willing the racking chills to stop.
My body has chosen to listen.

I start by standing up straight.
Squaring my shoulders proud.
Preparing for what's to come.
I turn to face my fears.

 Copyright 2018 Lauren Hall ©

No comments:

Post a Comment