Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Repayment



Tell me what I’ve lost.
All the times I’ve screwed up.
Countless shattered promises.
How much is there to lose?

If we were to rewind.
Would you compromise?
If I were to get down on knees.
Would it soften your broken heart?

To merely say ‘I’m sorry’.
It seems so meaningless.
What more can I say.
For all the forgiveness that I need.

How many ways can one apologize?
When will it all be forgotten?
Where will I be able to replace.
All pieces I’ve managed to break.

Can repentance truly be enough?
Will you be able to accept?
After all the horrors I’ve committed.
You would forgive all?

I should be banished.
Tossed out the back door.
Forgotten and dismissed.
Like I never even existed.

You cannot mean to forgive.
Such a wretched, foolish heart.
I have caused so much pain.
Where is the punishment for my crimes?

Handcuff me.
Toss me in a cell.
Let darkness swallow me whole.
Maybe then I will feel less guilty.

You would wipe away sins?
Make me whole again?
Let me have a second chance?
It seems like something from a dream.

Me.
A lowly servant.
Stand beside you?
King of creation itself.

You would wipe away tears.
Heal pain and sorrows.
Listen to my every word.
Love me through it all.

The repayment is un-payable.
Compensation unfathomable.
How am I to return all you’ve done.
Except through love and faithfulness.

Copyright 2010 Lauren Hall ©

3 comments:

  1. wow , I felt like standing in a court. Forgiveness is 2nd offspring of love" 1st is understanding" if there is love these qualities also exist with it,and we need them extremely in our daily life from our loved ones.have a blessed life

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just wonderful. Amazingly written. Conveys the message perfectly. I was very much impressed with the ending -
    "The repayment is un-payable.
    Compensation unfathomable."

    Have a great day...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay..just out of curiosity... sometimes when you write your poetry does it stem from personal thoughts.. or is it purely spiritual? very well written poem by the way :) YHWH truly is a merciful Elohim.

    ReplyDelete