Thursday, November 11, 2010

Attic Picnics


Dust off these old memories.
They float around like fireflies in August.
Take me back to picnics and stashed candy.
Hidden behind boxed mountains in your attic.

Brought back to a single moment.
To live in the past with you again.
I would give a day to have a chance.
A chance for happiness and laughter once more.

A million thoughts and I.
I dream of Paris and Rome.
Post cards and letters, I waited.
To hear from my old friend.

Distance tore us apart from within.
I was to stay.
Watching you walk away.
Every day I awaited your return.

I find ways to keep you near.
Kept a picture of us in that dusty old attic.
Spying on the world below.
Whispered secrets eavesdropped on by crickets.

Years go by till I forgot the joy.
Till I forgot innocence.
One step ahead.
Brought me that much further from you.

Voices whisper of a certain return.
Couldn’t help overhear.
Heart stopped in its tracks.
Till you were standing in front of me.

Memories flood to my eyes.
Tears stream down my face.
Happiness creeps back in.
Welcome back my old friend.



Copyright 2010 Lauren Hall ©

2 comments:

  1. very nice...very vivid descriptions

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liks it, I liks it... I liks it. Of course I always like your poems. :P You are very artistic sis, keep it up.
    Luvs ya :)

    ReplyDelete